The Old Sixth Ward Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone 13 (Old Sixth Ward TIRZ) works to improve the historic Old Sixth Ward neighborhood area and encourage the development of affordable and market-rate residential housing projects through the financing of public improvement projects. Created Dec. 22, 1998, by Houston City Council at the request of the Old Sixth Ward Neighborhood Association and property-owner petitioners, the Old Sixth Ward TIRZ contains the boundaries of Houston’s Old Sixth Ward. The area covers approximately 94 acres of land immediately west of downtown Houston.
Improving the Zone
Among the organization’s key accomplishments have been:
- Purchasing the 1912 Dow School to be retained as a community hub, park, and multicultural center;
- Designing and constructing The Park for Humans and Dogs, which includes the restored Witch’s Hat turret-turned-gazebo cupola. Preservationists salvaged the iconic turret from the demolished 1899 Allen Paul House from Houston’s historic South End—now Midtown;
- Creating and installing historic district street and wayfinding signs;
- Installing 4.4 miles of new-brick paved accessible sidewalks and curbs
- Rehabilitating public and private sewer lines within the zone; and
- Rebuilding the road and underground infrastructure and restoring the century-old bricks of Sabine Street, one of Houston’s few remaining original brick streets.
- Improving Dow Elementary Park (Dow Elementary Park Photos)
A nine-member governing board of directors oversees the Old Sixth Ward TIRZ and consists of five city appointees, one school district appointee, one county appointee, a representative of the area’s state senator, Carol Alvarado, Texas Senate District 6; and a representative of state representative, Garnet F. Coleman, Texas House District 147.
More of the 4-1-1
The board meets on the third Wednesday of the months of February, April, June, September, October, and December at 5:30 p.m. and on an as-needed basis. Board meetings are open for public attendance.
To learn more about our area and Tax Increment Reinvestment Zones, please visit these Web sites: